Retreat Guidelines and Requirements
There are certain basic requirements expected of all retreatants. The most important are:
- Everyone is to remain silent in all forms of communication except with the teachers or in emergencies. No talking, reading, writing or body sign language with others. Silence can aid greatly in the development of mincdfulness, compassion, insight and understanding. Our energies are thus directed inward rather than outward.
- Everyone is expected to follow the schedule of activities.
- Everyone must stay within the retreat grounds.
- Smoking is not allowed.
- Usage of cell phones is not allowed.
- No illegal drugs or alcohol.
- Tai chi, any martial arts, dance routines, etc. are not allowed.
- To provide a favorable environment for meditation, clothing must be appropriate: non-transparent and without controversial words or illustrations. Loose clothing is most comfortable for meditation.
Special note: the retreats are "intensive" meditation retreats. Rosemary and Steve reserve the right to not accept a person for a retreat if they feel the retreat would not be appropriate at that time for that person.
On other occasions, rather than not accepting someone, Steve and Rosemary have come to understand that there are certain types of retreatants who simply need more help to be able to complete the retreats. In these cases, those retreatants will have to agree to extra conditions in order to strengthen their commitment to do the retreat.